Sunday, April 17, 2011

JSNAP Exodus Fun

Passover and Easter did a fantastic job of sneaking up out of nowhere this year.  I know there are a lot of Hagaddah supplements out there in this crazy world, but I've got the one you should use.  It comes from Jewish Solidarity with Native American People (JSNAP).  Having planned three Passovers with the leader of JSNAP, Elise Goldin, I can say without a doubt that her Hagaddah is going to be the way to go this holiday season.  Here's a bit of the group's background, as described on its Facebook page.

In recognition of the repeated injustices towards first nations people, we as Jews come together to stand in solidarity with first nations people to support native land rights. From forced removal to the continuous theft of sacred places, we recognize the history of US genocidal practices continued racism towards native peoples.

JSNAP was born out of a call from a friend and peacewalk partner of Rabbi Lynn Gottlieb, Chief Tom Dostou of Wabanaki People. Tom call on us to join the resistance against the construction of a 4 lane highway and housing complex in Turtle Island (also known as the South March Highlands). This highway would not only destroy a sacred site for the Algonquin People but also devastate a unique ecologically diverse forest.

William Commanda, an Algonquian elder and founder of Circle of Nations, writes:
“I together with many others again urge City Council to initiate an immediate and comprehensive archaeological survey of this site; I believe it is the underlying responsibility of the crown and governments and the National Capital Commission to safeguard this ecologically and archaeologically unique site of the South March Highlands as a potential national heritage site, one of significant Indigenous importance, and as an Algonquin in the unceded, unconquered and unsurrendered Ottawa River Watershed, I add my voice to the call for such action.”

As Jews of conscience, we also want to add our voices to such action and stand with the Algonquin people against the construction of the highway
 So here it is: the first ever JSNAP Hagaddah supplement.  As most of you know, my internet skills are limited, so I hope this link works.  If not, please let me know and I'll...get someone else to fix it for me.  Also, there is a much more beautiful and illustrated version of the Hagaddah that I would be more than happy to send to anyone who wants it.  But I don't know how to post a Microsoft Word document.  
Chag Sameach!

1 comment:

  1. I see how JSNAP's Passover Supplement says how our "Jewish values" are supposed to bring us into solidarity with the struggle of the "Native Americans" (I was born in the US, does that make me a "Native American", too?). I am not sure what "Jewish values" we Jews have that non-Jews don't have, I think it is problematic to even make such an assumption that there ARE such "Jewish values".
    This reminds me of the joke they used to make about Mordechai Kaplan, founder of the Reconstructionist Movement among American Jews:

    Kapland and the Reconstructionists believe that the Jewish are a divinely chosen people who mission, given to them directly from heaven, is to teach the world that there is no deity, and Jews are no different than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete